Places to visit - Llanfairpwll
The village of Llanfairpwll, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll or Llanfair PG as it is known locally on Anglesey is steeped in history.
The long version of this village name was (contrived) in the 1860’s to make the local railway station the one with the longest name in Great Britain as a publicity stunt, indeed the tiny railway station with its long name on the platform still draws in many tourists today and is a popular place for a photo opportunity!
The village itself and surrounding area has many attractions. Next to the old railway station is the very popular woollen mill James Pringle, which has almost every type of clothing you could wish for, including a range of clothing for golf enthusiasts.
Llanfairpwll railway station
The Railway Station at Llanfairpwll was built in 1848, but unfortunately on the 13 November 1865 it suffered from a catastrophic fire and the railway station has to be completely rebuilt, it remained open for a further 101 years until 1966 when it closed.
The station reopened in 1970 after the fire on the Britannia Bridge. Originally there was a station masters house, turntable, sidings and goods yard.
The footbridge, the only one on Anglesey was taken down in 2017. The small signal box still remains open and in use. The station is still used today, but stops here are limited.
The long place name of this village holds the record for being the longest in the United Kingdom, Europe and the second longest official one word place name in the world. If you’re visiting our beautiful Island this is a very popular attraction to visit.
Marquess of Anglesey’s Column
During the 16th century most of the land was owned by the Earl of Uxbridge, who latter became the Marquess of Anglesey and lived in the near by National Trust property Plas Newydd.
The Marquess of Anglesey’s column which you will see when entering the village of Llanfairpwll, and which can indeed be seen for miles is also a tourist attraction and it is possible to pay a small fee and climb the (412) steps to get some absolutely amazing views over the Menai Strait and across to the mountains of Snowdonia.
Unfortunately the Marquess of Anglesey’s column is closed for the foreseeable future, due to necessary repairs.
Nelson’s Statue on Menai Strait
This Statue to Nelson is situated on the beautiful shores of the Menai Strait between the majestic Britannia Bridge and the beautiful stately home Plas Newydd home to the then Paget Family.
It was Admiral Lord Paget who wanted to commemorate Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson who died at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805, so he purchased, and had this statue erected on the shores of the Menai Strait which could be seen from his ancestral home at Plas Newydd, which is now in the care of the National Trust.
Access to Nelson’s Statue is via a small path that runs along St. Mary’s church and down onto the shore of the Menai Strait.
Llanfairpwll Toll House
The Toll house in Llanfairpwll is one of five toll houses originally built on Anglesey, although only four remain today, the fifth was on the Anglesey side of the Menai Suspension Bridge.
The Toll house at Llanfairpwll is an Octagonal two storey building on the junction between A4080 to Brynsiencyn and A5 to Holyhead road.