Amlwch is situated on the North Eastern corner of Anglesey once famous for its copper mines. The small port of Amlwch is popular with local fishing boats and is a very safe haven during stormy weather.
Unlike many other towns on Anglesey, Amlwch has mainly grown due to its industrial past, copper mining, aviation fuel manufacture (Octel).
Melin Y Borth Windmill
Anglesey has the visible remains of 31 windmills and the town of Amlwch has three of them!
Completed in 1816, it had seven floors and stood over sixty feet high, making it the tallest windmill on Anglesey.
Built by Messrs Paynters of Amlwch, a prominent family in the area during the nineteenth century with other business interests in the shipbuilding, legal and timber trade as well as being corn merchants!