places to visit - red wharf bay traeth coch
This beautiful seaside hamlet is located on the eastern side of Anglesey, between the villages of Pentraeth and Benllech, and has an absolutely stunning sandy beach which stretches for miles.
Because this area of Anglesey is so beautiful, along with its sandy beaches it is very popular with Caravan and camping sites. The Anglesey Coastal Path passes through Red Wharf Bay and into the next village of Benllech.
Miles of Sandy Beach
Due to the length of Red Wharf Bay beach it is very popular with horse riding, Kite Surfing and Land Surfing, as the beach is so flat the tide can come in quite quickly so you need to keep an eye on it!
Red Wharf Bay is a great place for wildlife, many wading birds such as Shelduck, purple Sandpipers, Curlew and Oystercatchers can be seen here.
Red Wharf Bay - birth place of the landrover
Few people know that Red Wharf Bay is also famous for where the British Land Rover was conceived.
The first picture of the Land Rover was drawn in the sand on this beach during the summer of 1947 by Rover boss Maurice Wilks and his brother Spencer.
This beach has now been immortalized as a special design on some Land rover seats, the map of Anglesey, which also shows Red Wharf Bay is printed on the seat.
Red Wharf Bay Branch Line
During 1899 and 1900 LNWR were granted permission to build a branch line off the Anglesey Central Railway from Holland Arms to Red Wharf Bay.
The line was opened to Pentraeth in 1908 and reached Red Wharf Bay in 1909. This section of line was known as the Red Wharf Bay Branch line.
Unfortunately this section of line closed on the 3rd of April in 1950.
Red Wharf Bay Sailing Club
The Red Wharf Bay Sailing and Water Sports Club are based at Traeth Bychan just up the coast a little.
The sailing club was formed in the early 1960’s.
Every year The Red Wharf Bay Sailing Club, holds a race from Beaumaris back to its club, which is based at Traeth Bychan.